Wednesday 29 August 2012

Workout: Zombies, Run!


ZOMBIES, RUN!
3/5 STARS

When I first heard about this app you could get for your phone, I was TOTALLY entertained and enthused to try it. I have an upcoming race on September 22nd called, "Run For Your Lives", which is a 5k obstacle course, that includes "zombies" who chase you and can "damage your health" along the way. The run is fully explained in detail on their website (posted below) and I'll have a mammoth post coming for it in a few weeks. Back to this app:

The details:
-This app, which can be downloaded for IPhone (what I use), Android, and "Windows Phone", is kind of like a living video game. It tracks your speed and distance via GPS, and you complete missions by "collecting supplies" and outrunning zombie mobs.

At this point, I've completed 4 missions, outran 3 zombie mobs, and gotten eaten by 1 zombie mob.

Things I like:

-The concept of an adventure story to accompany my workouts.
-Getting outside to use it (perfect for the spring, summer, autumn months!)
-Getting to input your own songs
-Convenient timer and km metre included
-Characters have full stories/personalities
-You can choose the length of your missions
-When zombies "appear". Serious sprinting is needed to survive!

Things I would change:

-Have an option to increase or decrease the frequency of zombie attacks. I usually only get one attack per mission, and for greater interval training, would like to be forced to sprint more often.
-Runner 8 is annoying as hell. (If you try the game, you'll realize that she's supposed to be annoying. But still!)
-What exactly are the supplies for? I haven't gotten far enough to find out yet?
-Serious downside to this game is the cost. 8$ for an app??!
-Cannot be used on a treadmill

Overall, I would give this workout 3/5 STARS. Recommended? Maybe. Depends what you are looking for. It was actually the perfect app for me, since I wanted to start training for longer runs, with bursts of sprints, and be able to track my distance and time for an upcoming race. It makes workouts a lot more interesting, and keeps my attention on what I'm doing. I am even finding myself laughing out loud at the storyline at times! Is it the best workout of my life? No. You can take things at your own pace, which is sometimes a downfall for me, because I don't push myself as hard. It's kind of pricey, but that has pushed me to use it more often I guess. It's also gotten me out of the gym and running outside which is great right now because of the beautiful summer/fall weather, but it could become problematic come winter time.

Happy trails! xx
http://runforyourlives.com/overview-toronto/
https://www.zombiesrungame.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment